Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Camera traps installed in Khanapur Forest


The Nagargali forest which is contiguous to Dandeli and Haliyal forests will be under the strict vigilance of Forest Department now.Since Nagargali Range is a popular elephant corridor and also having viable prey predator density is suffering from huge encroachment,timber extraction and also poaching cases.So to end up all these Belgaum Division is trying some new idea by installing camera traps.Please find the article below for more details:
The Forest Department installed special cameras at the Khanapur jungle, on Friday to monitor the round-the-clock movement of both humans and animals. Under the leadership Deputy Conservator of Forests Girish Hosur and a team comprising Nagargali Assistant Conservator of Forests P K Nayak, Nagargali RFO Basavaraj Walad, wildlifer Sachin Patil, foresters and forest guards, a survey was conducted for installing the cameras at suitable places. The first camera trap was laid in the  tiger zone area under Nagargali range.

Speaking to Express, Hosur said, “The approximate cost of the camera is Rs 18,000. It has a sensor, which senses the slightest movements within a 50 feet radius and alerts the camera to capture the move. The photograph is captured by the camera within micro second.”


Hosur  also added that after every click, the camera needs 15 seconds to stabilise for the next shot.The camera’ battery life is 15 days, after which it needs to be recharged. With  high mega pixel lens and hi tech flash facility, the cameras can take high resolution pictures during dark hours.


“Apart from keeping an eye on law offenders, the camera will also capture the movement of wildlife, which will help the forest department in studying the forest more closely,” said Hosur. He added 12 more cameras would be installed in some more identified areas.

This article was published in expressbuzz.com and can be read from the link below:

1 comment:

  1. wow; great work,from forest department officials.
    thanks for great information.

    ReplyDelete