Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 3, 2012

'Mhadei must be declared tiger reserve'

Goa should declare the Mhadei wildlife sanctuary as a tiger reserve during its golden jubilee year of liberation as it would be a matter of pride for the state, and also help protect its lifeline, the River Mhadei, noted conservationist Prerna Singh Bindra said on Friday.
"Goa has lots to offer in terms of biodiversity and other things, and the tiger's presence is a matter of pride rather than shying away from acknowledging it," the national board for wildlife member said.
Speaking in Candolim on tiger conservation and referring to the elusive big cats of Goa, she said it was sad that their presence here had been beset by a denial syndrome.
Further, Bindra said that Goa can be the 18th tiger state in the country and if it happens, it would also help save the Mhadei as the state's lifeline.
Jairam Ramesh, then Union minister of environment and forests, had written to former chief minister Digambar Kamat on June 28, 2011, urging the state government to submit a proposal to declare Mhadei as a tiger reserve.
Environmentalists realized that this suggestion had been prompted by the estimated presence of 35 tigers in Karnataka's tiger landscape, comprising the Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary and the Anshi-Dandeli tiger reserve.
But successive governments have shied away from complying with the Centre's request. "We are aware about the tiger's presence in Goa, but there is also a strong mining lobby here," a member of the audience quipped.
Bindra felt that everybody can contribute to the cause of tiger conservation in their own way. "The teachers can teach kids, NGOs can help in documentation, others can motivate the forest department officials," she said.
Terming project tiger, initiated in 1973, as a major conservation exercise, she said that it was a matter of pride that India has 1706 big cats and that is more than half of the world's population of big cats. "But 12% of its habitat is being lost every year," she said. Poaching, fragmentation of forest and its habitat, and dwindling of its prey base were some of the reasons for the decline in tiger population, she added.

An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment