Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Bhimgad will get range forest office


The forest department plans to open a range forest office to conserve Bhimgad reserve forest in Khanapur taluk of the district, which was declared a wildlife sanctuary' last year by the ministry of environment and forests.
Bhimgad forest is spread on 19,042.50 hectares in the core zone of Western Ghats. The area is free from biotic disturbances and forestry operations. However, poaching and smuggling continues in this area.
This forest is home to tigers, leopards, Indian gaur (bison), sloth bear, sambar, barking deer, cheetah, wild dogs, king cobra and variety of other mammals and reptiles.
Poachers and smugglers enter the forest easily from Krishnapur village area on the Goa route. In order to control this, the department plans to open the range office here.
Speaking to STOI, Ambadi Madhav, district conservator of forests, said the proposal has been sent to the forest department in the state and the Centre. A K Varma, state principal chief conservator of forest, who visited Belgaum a few months ago promised to sanction a range office for Bhimgad sanctuary at the earliest, by availing approval from the Centre. Varma was in Belgaum as DCF from 1984-87. "There are also plans to create awareness on the importance of Bhimgad wildlife sanctuary to villagers, who often collude with poachers and get involved in smuggling for a petty amount, without knowing the value of the animals and plants", the DCF said.
With the range office in the area, there would be more guards to man the forest.
An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:


No comments:

Post a Comment