Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Friday, January 4, 2013

15 tigers died in State during 2012 NTCA report

‘Criminal tribes’ target big cats in protected reserves
The year bygone has proved to be unsafe for wildlife in Karnataka. As many as 15 tigers died in the State’s protected forests in 2012, according to a report of the National Tiger Conservation Authority.

The tiger census conducted in 2010 disclosed that Karnataka had 300 tigers. Of the 41 tiger reserves in India, five are in Karnataka - Bandipur, Nagarahole, Bhadra, Anashi-Dandeli and Biligiri Ranganathaswamy protected tiger forest.

According to the report uploaded on its website, NTCA has said that out of the 15 tigers which died in 2012 in Karnataka, six were poached, while the rest died a natural death. 
The State has the distinction of having highest number of tigers in the country. 

Apparently, ‘criminal tribes’ from North India are targetting tigers in the protected reserves. Poachers from Bawaria tribe were arrested in Biligiri Ranganathaswamy forests July last year. They had set up jaw-traps in forests for poaching tigers.

Across the country

The report says that 88 tigers died across the country in 2012 and a majority of them have fallen prey to poachers in Karnataka and Maharashtra. 

The casuality was comparatively less in 2011 - when 56 tigers died, six of them in Karnataka, three of which were poached.

Wildlife Biologist Sanjay Gubbi said reserved forests adjacent to protected tiger reserves should be made part of the tiger reserves. 


He said declaring Male Mahadeshwara Hills, Hanur, Yedeyarahalli and Ramapura reserved forests too should be declared wildlife reserve to check poaching.

An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:
http://www.deccanherald.com/content/302598/15-tigers-died-state-during.html

No comments:

Post a Comment