Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Sunday, December 22, 2013

1,576 families to be moved out to make room for tigers


As per NTCA directive, tiger reserves in state will be cleared of all human habitation over the next five years

Alongside the quadrennial tiger census spanning eight days that took off on a grand note on Monday, the four major tiger reserves (excluding Bandipur Tiger Reserve) are bracing up for a massive rehabilitation programme: A whopping 1,576 families will move out of the tiger zones. 

The move is billed as the largest such programme after the one in Bagalkot for the Upper Krishna Project at Alamatti. Local people supported by their representatives have refused to move out of the forest in the past. Now, the government has directed the forest department to rehabilitate all the families and has earmarked Rs 35 crore for the purpose. The whole exercise will cost over Rs 161 crore (see box). 

The 'Rehabilitation of families living inside Tiger Reserves, National Parks and Wildlife Sanctuaries' will take wing from the current financial year. The programme has been set a deadline of five years. Families that voluntarily move out of Nagarahole, Bhadra, Dandeli-Anshi and Kudremukh reserves will be paid compensation as per the guidelines laid down by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA). "For those willing to rehabilitate voluntarily from these protected areas, the government has consented to give a compensation package as directed by the NTCA at a cost of Rs 35 crore," the order said. 

As per the detailed assessment made by the forest department, more than 6,000 people need to be rehabilitated under the programme. All villagers inside Bandipur Tiger Reserve have already been rehabilitated, but the government could not continue the same in the remaining four reserves following intense protest all these years. But the government has no option now but to follow the directives from the Union government. In Nagarahole National Park area alone, falling in the backyard of chief minister Siddaramaiah's home district of Mysore, 818 families have to move. 
An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment