Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Friday, January 10, 2014

Pangolin scales seized; 3 persons arrested

The forest department officials have arrested three persons on charges of illegally storing scales of Pangolin in a shop in Dandeli.

The arrested have been identified as Nagappa Wakod, Tukaram Wakod and Maruti Dundashi. They were arrested as per provisions in the 1972 Wildlife Protection Act and were produced before the court.

Resident of Dandeli, Nagappa Wakod had illegally stored pangolin scales in his shop. Based on a tip-off, the forest officials along with the Anashi Tiger reserve Area officials conducted a joint raid and have seized the pangolin scales weighing more than 2kg.

The rate was conducted under the guidance of Anashi Tiger reserve project Director BB Mallesh and Deputy Conservator of Forest Manjunath Chauhan.

Dandeli Sub-division assistant conservator of Forest S V Naik told that pangolin is an endangered animal and is no verge of extinction. The accused had reportedly stored scales of the animal which is in more demand in international market. They have been arrested and further investigation is on, he added.

Mr Naik said, the accused due interrogation have revealed that lot many people are also involved in poaching. A high-level forest officials meeting will be conducted to form a team and stop Poaching and arrest those involved in it.


An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment