Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Friday, December 30, 2011

Theatre for wildlife conservation in Joida taluk

Hunting stories are still alive in the memories of many villagers in the Dandeli wildlife reserve areas. Listening to Hambir Derekar of Daria is a revelation.



“During the British Raj my grandfather had shot dead two tigers and a leopard. My father was also a great hunter,” says Hambir. During 1970 and 80s, there were many mining companies in this area,  destroying most of the forest and wildlife of Joida taluk. 

Come to Joida, one of the most backward taluks of Karnataka, with 80 per cent of forest cover. Out of 120 villages, many lack basic development. Man-animal conflict is a everyday scene here. The forest resources of Joida comes under the jurisdiction of Dandeli (wildlife), Haliyal and Karwar divisions. Derekar family of Daria was famous till the last decade when it was the biggest tribal joint family of the district. Hambir Derekar has toured most of the taluk during his employment in mines during the 70s and 80s. Today, though, his sons are working towards restoring forest cover in the region. 
Meanwhile, the forest department’s street play awareness programmes for the conservation of wildlife has evoked good response. Many tribal villagers now understand the need for the conservation of wildlife. 

The awareness programme undertaken by the Dandeli-Anshi wildlife division through the Sahyadri Parisara Sangha has made villagers  think of the what, how and why of wildlife conservation. Narasimha Chapkhanda who leads a group of artistes also works for Wildlife Conservation Society. Thanks to the then DFO of Dandeli wildlife Manoj Kumar, who understood the impact of street plays, such awareness programmes have become regular affairs. 

Many tourists visit the Dandeli wildlife sanctuary every year. It is important that they all join hands for conservation of wildlife. 
It is important to understand the forest communities and their needs. They have to be given responsibilities for conserving wildlife. 
Anti-poaching camps have been set up by the Forest Department in the border areas where hunting was rampant. It is vital for locals to extend their co-operation to the department to check poaching.

An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment