Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Now, Karnataka’s wild beasts to get more room-Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary to be expanded


 Animals in the state’s wildlife sanctuaries and national parks will now have more space to themselves as the National Wildlife Board (NWB) has given clearance for expansion of land around protected areas of five wildlife sanctuaries and two national parks in the state by another three lakh hectares.
An official source from NWB said, “According to the proposal sent by the state forest department, we have granted clearance for an additional three lakh hectares of land to around five major wildlife  sanctuaries and two national parks in Karnataka. With this, the total notified protected areas in the state is now  9.5 lakh hectares from the existing 6.5 lakh hectares.”
Thus, the total land actually covered by forests is 33,238.47 sq km, constituting about 17.33 per cent of the total geographical area of the state.
The protected area around two national parks Bannerghatta National Park, Kudremukh National Park and five wildlife sanctuaries — Mookambika Wildlife Sanctuary, Someshwara Wildlife Sanctuary, Cauvery Wildlife Sanctuary, Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary and Dandeli Wildlife Sanctuary — has been granted clearance for expansion.
About the advantages of land expansion around protected areas, an official from the state forest department told Express, “Villages around these protected areas will not be disturbed. The area to be expanded lies within the forest area and added to the protected  area, providing more space for wild animals.”
“In order to improve corridor connectivity and increase conservation of wildlife, we had sent the proposal to NWB a couple of months ago. Increase in the protected areas will help animals, especially elephants and leopards. In addition, this will also help the forest department curb man-animal conflict, a problem the forest department has been grappling with,” he said.
However, with apprehensions that the villagers’ land may be affected, initially  local residents around these national parks and wildlife sanctuaries had raised.


An edited version of this article was published in Express News Service and can be read from,
http://expressbuzz.com/biography/now-karnataka%E2%80%99s-wild-beasts-to-get-more-room/324787.html

No comments:

Post a Comment