Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The vanishing stripes of Anashi reserve


Tiger population in Anashi Tiger Reserve in Uttara Kannada District has come down, according to a report prepared by a conservation- related organisation.
Though the previous census counted nine tigers there, 31 tigers were spotted in the tiger corridor between Anashi to Gersoppa. But the recent study, though contradicted by forest officials, has counted only four tigers in the reserve.
The disappearance of grasslands, a prerequisite for the survival of spotted deer, is said to be the main reason behind this. Now, with the depletion of grasslands, the deer population is decreasing in the reserve, which probably forced many tigers to move to other places.
According to naturalist and conservation activist Manjunath Sullolli, in the recent past the Anashi forest had thick grasslands, particularly in Padasheth, Diggi, Karanji, Hosulli, Isosa and Kinnarki forest areas. But they have almost disappeared now. Presently, the grasslands are visible only in Terali gudda, Kulgi and Pansoli forest areas. The earlier forest policy of introducing fast-growing trees like acacia might have affected grasslands, it is opined. Now, the government has banned planting of acacia.
Poaching, though largely controlled, is still reported in some regions bordering Goa, and it is a major reason for the disappearance of prey animals like giant squirrels in Joida taluk.
Another game spoiler is setting grasslands on fire by people who think that land will become fertile after burning grass roots, the study observes.
The report suggests that the government must evolve a policy to develop grasslands here and allow a sustained growth of tourism.

This article was published in expressbuzz.com and can be read from the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment