Prime Intention of the Blog

"People without children would face a hopeless future; a country without trees and wildlife is almost as helpless".

I still remember my childhood days when I used to visit Dandeli a place where even my father started his professional career and also where my most of the relatives were staying.Even though I never brought up in Dandeli no one could stop me to go there since it was just two hours journey from my native. And during every visit I used to get the scoldings from my father and relatives since I used to spend most of the time in forests than in house.So as I grown up my visit to Dandeli became very less except twice or thrice in a year since I became busy with studies but always I had in my mind that I should contribute something to these magnificent forests which inspired me a lot to fall in love with the Conservation.So it is just an attempt from my side to create awareness to save these magnificent animals and landscapes they exist in.If this blog contributes in a small way to achieve this goal I will be the most happiest person in this world.
This blog mainly focuses towards conservation activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.This blog doesn't provide any information regarding tourism and its related activities in and around Dandeli-Anshi Tiger Reserve.

Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Sahyadri Elephant Project may control the menace


The man-elephant conflict is not new to Haliyal and Joida taluks in Uttara Kannada district. The Forest Department is planning to implement a Sahyadri Elephant Project to avoid the man-animal conflict. The scientifically prepared project is expected to control elephant menace in the villages.
B. Mallesh, Assistant Conservator of Forest, Haliyal, said that efforts were on to convince the people of the villages not to grow sugarcane.
There were about 95 elephants in Haliyal and Dandeli reserve forest areas. Compared to the elephants in other parts of the State, these were sober, he said. Once, the Sahyadri Elephant Project comes into effect, the Centre would provide funds. Many pro-people programmes could be formulated for the protection of elephants, he said. The Forest Department had been planning on solar fencing and anti-elephant trenches in the borders of the forests.
Mr. Mallesh said special programmes would be taken up under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme. People would be trained to repulse the elephants without harming them.
The compensation for the death of people, and the crops destroyed had been increased. The awareness among people about the protection of the elephants had increased, he said. People of the district as well as elephant lovers were eagerly waiting for the implementation of this project, he said.

An edited version of this article can be read from the link below:

No comments:

Post a Comment